Friday, March 28, 2008

Humane Society


“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Mahatma Gandhi
Just had to let you know of another volunteer opportunity I have found. Here in the Tupelo area we have a Lee County Humane Society. About 2 years ago I was asked if I would foster animals that came into the shelter. I ask a few questions & brought my first cat home to keep her until she delivered her kittens. It did not go well. She had miscarried but the kittens stayed in her body & she developed an infection & had to be put to sleep. Wow, not the way I thought that would go. Immediatly I fostered a little pregnant feist dog. (All this time I had my 2 big dogs & a cat of my own.) She (Becky) proceeded along & got HUGE. Late one night she delivered 6 beautiful pups. We kept them until they were weaned & they were handed back over to the shelter. Sad moment. The last I heard is mom & pups were all adopted out to good homes. Too much was going on here at home & I didn't do any more fostering after that. I am the type person that has to be busy or I go crazy here at home.......remember----I don't like housework.

I still had the shelter heavy on my mind. I called to see what else I could do. Numerous things I was told. Yesterday (Thursday) I went to the shelter & took about 20 of the puppies outside for exercise. Not at one time. I am not that brave. I had so much fun. The shelter has a large fenced lot in back. While I had the pups outside to run around it gave the workers inside a chance to clean the one room & cages. I have promised the shelter I will come back at least once a week & take the pups out to play. If you have a shelter in your town.....call them. You would not believe the help they need.

Tomorrow is to be a fun day. Tractor Supply Company is letting the shelter set up to adopt dogs & cats out. It should be a great event. The shelter changed management in the last year or so & the euthanasia of animals has dropped dramatically. Please I will now turn into an AD. "Please have your pets spayed or neutered."

I will let you know how adoptions went.

http://tupelo-leehumane.org/




2 comments:

Denise said...

Very awesome.

Anonymous said...

hey girl! its me, tia, from the shelter today. nice webpage. i enjoyed reading all of your blogs.


add me on myspace

myspace.com/smileylulu

Counter

Powered By Blogger

Networked Blog