Tuesday, April 8, 2008

53 died - 55 came in - Throw away pets

Here is a letter that a friend wrote. I am so sad that people let this happen. This is something that should make every single person think before they refuse to have their pet spayed or neutered. Please do your part to help.

What can I do to help reduce companion animal overpopulation? Get your animal spayed or neutered. Yes, even the males. After all, it takes two to tango.


"I think this is the worst day I have had in a long time. It started with pulling up at work looking at 12 pups that were dumped sometime in the middle of the night as if that wasn't bad enough I walked around the corner found 10 pups crammed in cages and 2 adult dogs. I shook my head went on in being off the past two days not knowing what all was inside what was inside was just as depressing 173 puppies and cats. Walking round and round in circles looking for just one cage to put all those outside in. Not a single cage open, dogs crammed in carriers (pet taxi's) geeze We are only able to really house 90 cats and dogs and have all these in pet taxis so unfair. I walk in circles more and more looking at each of the animals. Who will live, who will die. I think to myself, hmmm a whole litter of black pups and another litter of black pups. Oh great that one is part pit, Can't adopt that one out. By 12pm I have picked 53 puppies that had to die. Finally got some cages to move the ones outside in. People started bringing in animals left & right. By 4:30 we brought in the 55th animal for the day. 53 died and 55 came in. It's a circle that never ends. Tonight when I go to lay down and sleep I get to not think of what tomorrow holds but instead I will be thinking which ones will have to die tomorrow. Sorry for venting I'm just so disgusted at people."



Animal overpopulation statistics from the Humane Society of the United States
Number of cats and dogs entering shelters each year: 6-8 million (HSUS estimate)
Number of cats and dogs euthanized by shelters each year: 4-5 million (HSUS estimate)
Average number of litters a fertile cat can produce in one year: 3
Average number of kittens in a feline litter: 4-6
In seven years, one female cat and her offspring can theoretically produce 420,000 cats.





2 comments:

Denise said...

This is so sad, thanks for sharing.

poundpup said...

thanks for posting my letter i want everyone to know this information. i cant beleive how many babies their are. everyone always thiks we only put down sick,injured or ill animals and that is so not true. the 53 that died were happy healthy adoptable animals but when you take in that amount and dont have the facility to house that many you have to put them down. on tuesday the day after we took in 37 it is now wednesday and i dread not knowing what the day has in store.

Counter

Powered By Blogger

Networked Blog