Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Old Pictures

Click on picture for larger view

While walking around during "First Sunday" I got a picture of my hometown square from a vendor by the name of Garry Morgan. I love pictures of my hometown. Mostly older ones.


The Scottsboro Boys Trial occured on First Monday April 1931.

Another type I love is to go back & get "after" pictures when I find an old one. My hometown square is still quite active.
This is the old Bynum's grocery on Broad Street when it was a 2 lane. I lived across the street. Then change comes along & a Sherwin Williams is built. It is still there today.
The city has a project that you can buy a brick for the gazebo project on the square. My husband & BIL's bought one for their mother. I have to say I was a bit disappointed that it was dirty & not laid very well. I hope after the next batch is put down they redo some.

My mother was in desperate need of cleaning out her outside shed & ran across a few of these old postcards of my dad's. We spent a great deal of time out somewhere or another with my dad making pictures. He ran Boots' Photo Service off "The Square". I sure did spend alot of my time there it seems.
On the back of the postcard reads......."The late Calvin McGee, Chief of the Creek Indians East of the Miss. River with Long White eagle at TA-CO-BET (Aug. 1969). This was Chief McGee's last visit to "God's Mountain". Located six miles east of Scottsboro, on Highway 40.

No comments:

Counter

Powered By Blogger

Networked Blog